Most people would agree that bacon smells yummy and tastes delicious, but one man recently found out it can also be flammable.
A resident in the 7000 block of East Second Avenue called the Spokane Valley Fire Department for a kitchen fire Feb. 21.
He told firefighters he had opened his oven to check on his bacon-wrapped meatloaf when it burst into flame. The man shut the door, turned the oven off and waited for the fire department to arrive, department spokeswoman Melanie Rose said.
The fire did not spread, and the offending meatloaf was removed from the home.
from Feb. 15-21
Feb. 17: A chimney fire was reported in the 20000 block of East Sprague Avenue. A fire was reported in the area of 12500 E. Trent Ave. Firefighters found two unattended transient camp fires spreading in the wind. The fires were quickly put out, but not before some personal belongings and clothing were burned.
Feb. 18: A live power line broke and fell in the 13400 block of East Broadway Avenue just after 3:30 a.m. Traffic was shut down until power crews arrived. The arcing from the wire created such intense heat that it melted several rocks.
Feb. 20: A mobile home fire was reported in the 24400 block of East Rosewood Avenue. It was a legal bonfire.
Feb. 21: A mattress fire caused about $75,000 in damage to multiple apartments at 15821 E. Fourth Ave. The flames were contained to one bedroom; heavy smoke caused most of the damage. A dog and a cat died in the smoke. A couch was discovered on fire in an alley in the 12300 block of East Alki Avenue.
By the numbers: Crews responded to 315 calls from Feb. 15-21, including 262 calls for emergency medical services. Other calls included 17 car crashes, a child locked inside a car and a woman on her balcony who locked herself out of her apartment.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.