Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Monday, October 14, 2019  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Cloudy 41° Cloudy
News >  Spokane

MAC briefly closed due to overheating elevator motor

UPDATED: Mon., March 20, 2017, 2:47 p.m.

A “fire” at the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture turned out to be an overheating elevator motor, a spokeswoman said Monday. (J. Bart Rayniak / The Spokesman-Review)
A “fire” at the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture turned out to be an overheating elevator motor, a spokeswoman said Monday. (J. Bart Rayniak / The Spokesman-Review)

A “fire” at the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture turned out to be an overheating elevator motor, a spokeswoman said Monday.

The MAC said on social media that visitors were evacuated “due to an unexpected fire” Saturday afternoon, but firefighters found only smoke in the elevator.

“It was a very minor thing,” said Carol Summers, the museum’s director of marketing and communications. “We closed for the afternoon because we wanted to err on the side of caution.”

No exhibits were damaged and the museum reopened Sunday. The elevator is being repaired.

Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.

You have been successfully subscribed!
There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email webteam@spokesman.com