Three workers sickened by a pesticide leak at a Spokane County waste facility were released from area hospitals Monday night.
An investigation determined the leak at the Colbert waste-transfer station originated from a 1-gallon canister of a pesticide used for spraying trees, which had been discarded along with other chemicals, said county spokeswoman Martha Lou Wheatley-Billeter. The canister burst and released a “toxic cloud” while it was being compacted on the tipping floor of the transfer station, she said.
The leak prompted county officials to remind residents not to discard “hazardous household waste” along with other garbage. Such waste includes light bulbs, batteries, automotive products such as antifreeze and gasoline, any paints that aren’t latex or water-based, herbicides and pesticides, and thermostats and thermometers that may contain mercury.
The workers, with symptoms ranging from irritated skin to vomiting, were taken to Deaconess Hospital and Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center after the leak occurred after 1 p.m. Monday.
Wheatley-Billeter said all three were sent home by 6:30 p.m. Monday “and are doing fine.”
The workers are employees of Waste Connections, the company that operates the county-owned facility.
Haulers can schedule weekend appointments to discard harzardous chemicals and materials at the county’s transfer stations in Colbert and Spokane Valley. Instructions can be found on the county’s website or by calling (509) 477-6800.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.