The Northwest Passages Book Club is reading Eli Saslow’s book, “Rising Out of Hatred.” The Pulitzer Prize-winning writer shares what he’s reading, what he’s watching and his other interests.
What are you …
1. Reading: Jesmyn Ward
2. Watching: “Succession”
3. Listening to: Jason Isbell
4. Following on social media: House of Highlights
5. Enjoying as a guilty pleasure: The NFL. It’s sad that it has to feel guilty, but with the head injuries, it does.
6. Inspired by: David Finkel, my editor at The Washington Post, and a tremendous narrative writer
7. Challenged by: Our 2-year-old’s temper tantrums
8. Recalling as the craziest thing you did to get a story: For this book, I spent two years writing letters to Derek Black and building up his trust before he would meet with me.
9. Adding to your bucket list: Learning to windsurf
10. Working on: A story about the government taking land for eminent domain to build Trump’s wall on the U.S. border
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Spokane7 email newsletter
Get the day’s top entertainment headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.