The Northwest Passages Book Club is reading Eli Saslow’s book, “Rising Out of Hatred.” The Pulitzer Prize-winning writer shares what he’s reading, what he’s watching and his other interests.
What are you …
1. Reading: Jesmyn Ward
2. Watching: “Succession”
3. Listening to: Jason Isbell
4. Following on social media: House of Highlights
5. Enjoying as a guilty pleasure: The NFL. It’s sad that it has to feel guilty, but with the head injuries, it does.
6. Inspired by: David Finkel, my editor at The Washington Post, and a tremendous narrative writer
7. Challenged by: Our 2-year-old’s temper tantrums
8. Recalling as the craziest thing you did to get a story: For this book, I spent two years writing letters to Derek Black and building up his trust before he would meet with me.
9. Adding to your bucket list: Learning to windsurf
10. Working on: A story about the government taking land for eminent domain to build Trump’s wall on the U.S. border
Local journalism is essential.
The journalists of The Spokesman-Review are a part of the community. They live here. They work here. They care. You can help keep local journalism strong right now with your contribution. Thank you.
Subscribe to the Spokane7 email newsletter
Get the day’s top entertainment headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.