Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Fog 32° Fog
News >  Spokane

Firefighters credit child’s quick action for saving family in Spokane Valley apartment fire

From staff reports

A family of three was displaced Wednesday evening after a fire tore through their Spokane Valley apartment.

Spokane Valley firefighters were called to an apartment complex at 7012 E. Second Ave. at about 12:30 a.m., where they found smoke and flames coming from the back side of an apartment, firefighters said in a news release. The flames were quickly knocked down.

Firefighters credited the quick action of a child, who heard the sound of a smoke detector and woke up the rest of his family, for ensuring everyone made the residence out safely. Two children and an adult escaped the blaze.

The news release said the family had just replaced the battery of their smoke detector earlier that night.

The American Red Cross is assisting with a temporary shelter.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.