Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Saturday, October 24, 2020  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Clear Day 33° Clear
News >  World

Sudan military acknowledges violations in sit-in dispersal

Sudan's ruling Military Council spokesperson Shamseddine Kabbashi makes a speech as he holds a press conference at the Presidential Palace in Khartoum, Sudan, Thursday, June 13, 2019. (AP)
Sudan's ruling Military Council spokesperson Shamseddine Kabbashi makes a speech as he holds a press conference at the Presidential Palace in Khartoum, Sudan, Thursday, June 13, 2019. (AP)
By Bassam Hatoum and Noha Elhennawy Associated Press

KHARTOUM, Sudan – Sudan’s ruling military acknowledged that security forces committed violations when they moved in to disperse a protest sit-in camp outside the military headquarters in Khartoum last week.

The spokesman for the ruling military council, Gen. Shams Eddin Kabashi, told reporters at a news conference late Thursday that an investigation was underway and that several military officers were already in custody for alleged “deviation” from the action plan set by military leaders.

Kabashi did not elaborate on the violations beyond describing them as “painful and outrageous.”

Over 100 people were killed in the capital and across Sudan in a sweeping crackdown last week, according to protest organizers. Protesters also said more than 40 bodies were pulled from the Nile River in Khartoum and taken away by security forces.

“We feel sorry for what happened,” said Kabashi. “We will show no leniency and we will hold accountable anyone, regardless of their rank, if proven to have committed violations.”

The dispersal of the sit-in was a violent turn in the standoff between the protesters and the military, which removed President Omar al-Bashir from power in April after a months-long popular uprising against his 30-year rule. Kabashi admitted that the members of the transitional military council had convened the night before the sit-in was dispersed and agreed to drive protesters away.

Rights groups expressed alarm over the violence.

In response to Kabashi statements, Amnesty International called Friday for an international probe.

“Following this admission, it is now more urgent than ever, in the interest of accountability and transparency, that the military authorities allow international scrutiny and investigations by the U.N. and African Union into the escalating human rights violations under their watch,” said Sarah Jackson, Amnesty’s deputy regional director for East Africa, the Horn and the Great Lakes.

Forces for the Declaration of Freedom and Change, a coalition of political groups representing the protesters, also insisted on an international investigation – a demand Kabashi strongly rejected.

On Thursday, U.N. Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict Pramila Patten expressed “grave concern” over reports of mass rapes of protesters and female medical personnel by security forces and militias.

Human Rights Watch urged the Sudanese military to restore access to the internet, which has been blocked since the start of the clampdown. Kabashi ruled that out, alleging the use of social media has posed a threat to national security. Sudanese protesters have relied heavily on social media to post video depicting violence perpetrated by security forces, mobilize rallies and coordinate dissent.

Separately, Kabashi dismissed the death toll announced by the Sudanese Doctors Central Committee, a group associated with the protesters, as misleading. The group has said 108 people were killed and more than 500 wounded. The military-controlled Health Ministry later put the death toll at 61.

Following last week’s violence, Ethiopia stepped up its diplomatic efforts to mediate the crisis. Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed visited Khartoum, held several rounds of separate talks with the generals and pro-democracy forces and appointed a special envoy.

Kabashi said Ethiopian mediators did not put forward any proposal that could ease disagreements but have only sought to encourage both parties to resume direct talks.

In the wake of the military crackdown, talks between the military and protesters were suspended and the FDFC held a three-day general strike and a campaign of civil disobedience. Leaders of the protest movement said earlier they would not sit down with the generals until they acknowledged last week’s “massacre,” allowed the formation of an international commission to investigate the killings of protesters, restored internet services, adhered to previous deals struck before the breakdown in talks and send paramilitary troops back to their barracks.

While admitting the military’s responsibility for the killings, Kabashi insisted the question of deploying troops is a military affair that no one should tamper with.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.

New health insurance plans available Nov. 1 through Washington Healthplanfinder

 (Photo courtesy WAHBE)

Fall means the onset of the cold and flu season.