aw_200810_nationwhitehouse
SPARTA, N.C. — The most powerful earthquake to hit North Carolina in more than 100 years shook much of the state early Sunday, rattling homes, businesses and residents.
The National Weather Service in Greenville said the 5.1-magnitude temblor struck at 8:07 a.m., following a much smaller quake several hours earlier.
There were no reports of serious injuries, but some minor structural damage was reported in Sparta, as well as cracks in roads. Images on social media also showed items knocked off of grocery store shelves.
The U.S. Geological Survey said on its website that there are chances for one or more aftershocks in the next week, forecasting a 45% chance for earthquakes of magnitude 3 or greater. The chances of another quake as strong as the one on Sunday or greater was about 1%.
Karen Backer was in her Greensboro apartment when she heard initially mistook banging in her kitchen for her roommate.
“Nope, it was the cabinet doors ‘clinking’ open and closed! My neighbors on the other hand said they felt our apartment building shaking,” Backer said. “Well, sadly, nothing surprises me in 2020, but a hurricane and an earthquake in the same week is crazy.”
It was the largest earthquake to hit the state since 1916, when a magnitude 5.5 quake occurred near Skyland, the NWS said.
The quake’s epicenter was about 2.5 miles southeast of Sparta, just south of the Virginia-North Carolina border, the USGS said, adding that the population in the affected region resides in structures “that are resistant to earthquake shaking, though vulnerable structures exist.”
The quake was felt as far away as Atlanta.
Trump aide: U.S. will crack down on foreign election meddling
National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien vowed to protect the 2020 U.S. election from foreign interference, whether they back President Donald Trump or challenger Joe Biden, saying any country that interferes risks “severe consequences.”
“Whether it’s China or Russia or Iran, we’re not going to put up with it,” O’Brien said on CBS’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday.
A report by U.S. intelligence agencies on Friday said Russia would prefer that Trump win reelection while China and Iran would like to see him lose. Asked about the possibility of U.S. adversaries skewing the result, O’Brien said the Trump administration will be evenhanded in ensuring a free and fair election.
He declined to say whether Trump told Russian President Vladimir Putin during a July 23 conversation to refrain from meddling in the U.S. election, saying he doesn’t get involved in the president’s conversations with foreign leaders.
“But nevertheless, we continue to message the Russians,” O’Brien said. “And President Trump continues to message the Russians: don’t get involved in our elections. And by the way, that message is to the Chinese and that message is to Tehran as well. Don’t do it because there will be severe consequences.”
Russia most active
While O’Brien didn’t spell out specific consequences, he cited previous economic and diplomatic sanctions the administration has imposed on Russia. “There’s not a lot left we can do with the Russians” in terms of sanctions, he said.
Last week’s summary by U.S. intelligence agencies attributed the most active role to Russia, which sought to help Trump win election in 2016. This time, it said, Russia is “using a range of measures to primarily denigrate former Vice President Biden.”
The report said Iran will focus on “spreading disinformation on social media” as it “seeks to undermine U.S. democratic institutions, President Trump and to divide the country.” And it said China, which sees Trump as “unpredictable,” has grown “increasingly critical” in its “public rhetoric.”
“We’re going to take every step necessary to harden our election infrastructure, harden our cyber infrastructure and protect our elections 100%,” O’Brien said on Sunday.