Austin Corbin House
1897-98: Austin Corbin was the son of the railroad magnate D. C. Corbin. Cutter had met him in Switzerland when he was a student and later married his sister Louise. While Cutter was more at home with rambling Tudoresque styles, his client wanted a neoclassical design. The grand Ionic portico proclaims a patrician character and the elegant rooms arranged formally around a central hall provided for gracious entertaining. After Louise Corbin’s death, the mansion became part of Marycliff Catholic Girl’s school and, until 1979, served as a convent for Franciscan sisters who turned the drawing room into their chapel. This house has recently been converted into an events center.
Directions to the next stop: F. Lewis Clark House
302 ft away
Head east on W 7th Ave