The ground floor of Peyton building was Murgittroyd’s Drug Store in the early part of the 20th century. More recently is has been a series of restaurants.
Image OneCharles Libby Collection, Washington State Archives, Digital ArchivesImage TwoJesse TinsleyThe Spokesman-Review
Murgittroyd’s in the Peyton Building, seen at right in the 1908, was the prototype of the modern drug store. According to “The Pioneer Drug Store” by David Bethman, William Hiram Murgittroyd was born in 1867 and worked in a Detroit drug store as a teen. At 24, he moved to Montana, opening his own drug store in Marysville in 1895. Five years later, he moved to the boom town of Spokane, Washington and eventually came to own the Krum and Braley store, which became Murgittroyd’s in 1905. In the early years of the 20th century, business grew rapidly, with the store offering medicines prepared on the premises, cold storage for prescription ingredients, free delivery, six-hour same-day photo processing and free amenities like coat and parcel check. The store even had a private area where women could discuss their special needs with a female attendant. Customers could also find gifts, housewares, fishing tackle and watches. William Murgittroyd had other businesses and volunteered with the Boy Scouts, War Bond drives and various clubs and lodges. Murgittroyd sold the store in 1925, and it closed in 1933. Murgittroyd died in 1946.