A trivia quiz to test your knowledge of sports in 1995 (Each correct answer is worth two points, unless otherwise noted):
1. Who broke Red Auerbach’s NBA record for coaching victories?
2. Name two of the five people elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. (one point each)
3. Who was the only person elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame?
4. Within seven, how many days did the NHL lockout last?
1. What school became the first ever to place both their men’s and women’s basketball teams at the top of the AP poll in the same week?
2. Who set the record for rushing yardage in a Pro Bowl?
3. Who won the Sullivan Award as the top American amateur athlete?
4. Who won the Daytona 500 for the second consecutive year?
1. Who was the Braves’ replacement pitcher murdered in West Palm Beach, Fla.?
2. What number did Michael Jordan wear upon coming out of retirement?
3. Who won the Iditarod sled-dog race?
4. Within 10, how many days did the major league baseball strike last?
5. Who became just the third player ever to lead the NCAA in scoring and rebounding in the same season?
1. Whose death helped inspire Ben Crenshaw to his victory in the Masters?
2. Who won the Boston Marathon? (one point for male winner, one point for female winner)
3. Who was the first pick in the NFL draft?
4. Who was forced out as coach of the U.S. National Soccer Team?
1. Who won the Kentucky Derby?
2. Who won the Indianapolis 500?
3. Who was the NBA MVP?
4. Who won the America’s Cup?
1. Which golfer qualified for the LPGA Hall of Fame with a victory in the ShopRite Classic?
2. Who became the first trainer to win five straight Triple Crown races?
3. What city was selected as the site of the 2002 Winter Olympics?
4. Who was the first player selected in the NBA expansion draft?
1. Who became the first player in Wimbledon history to be defaulted after quitting during a match?
2. Who won the Tour de France?
3. Which cyclist was killed during the Tour de France when he crashed into a concrete barrier?
4. Who pitched the only no-hitter in the major leagues last season?
1. Who is Peter McNeeley’s trainer?
2. Who became the first male sprinter to win both the 200 and 400 in the same year at the World Track and Field Championships?
3. Who did Monica Seles beat in her first match since being stabbed in 1993?
4. Which long-distance runner broke the world record in the 5,000 meters by nearly 11 seconds?
1. What was the total value of Deion Sanders’ contract with the Dallas Cowboys?
2. How long did the standing ovation last when Cal Ripken officially broke Lou Gehrig’s record for consecutive games played?
3. Who broke the major league record for pinch hits in a season?
4. Who led the opposing team that ended the Harlem Globetrotters’ 24-year, 8,829-game winning streak?
1. Which horse capped an undefeated year with a victory in the Breeders Cup Classic?
2. What company signed a sponsorship deal with the WTA?
3. Who was the World Series MVP?
4. Who did the Carolina Panthers beat for their first NFL victory?
1. Who owns the Cleveland Browns?
2. Who was named MVP of the National League?
3. Who finished second to Greg Maddux for the NL Cy Young Award?
4. How many yards did Tim Biakabatuka of Michigan rush for against Ohio State?
5. Which golfer became the first to lead both the U.S. and European LPGA tours in money winnings in the same year?
1. Who did the United States beat in the finals of the Davis Cup?
2. Which NHL defenseman became the first to record 1,000 assists?
3. How much did NBC pay for the rights to the 2004 and 2008 Summer Olympics and 2006 Winter games?
4. Which filly trotter won 10 of 13 races to capture Harness Horse of the Year honors?
Trivia quiz answers on page C8.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.