The U.N. refugee agency said Monday that the death toll in an attack on a refugee camp in Rwanda last week was up to 148 - 30 more than previously had been reported.
U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees Sadako Ogata said she was “shocked and outraged” by the attack against Mudende Camp in Rwanda’s Gisenyi province last Friday.
Witnesses had said 118 people were killed and 87 wounded in the attack on Tutsi refugees who had fled last year from the former Zaire, now renamed Congo. The witnesses blamed Hutu insurgents.
The refugee agency said Monday that at least 131 Congolese refugees and 17 others - including some of the attackers - were killed in the massacre, and that 80 were wounded. It said the attack was the worst against a refugee camp in Rwanda.
Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter
Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.