Here are a few interesting entries from the online edition of the Oxford English Dictionary:
• Bake-off: A baking competition, especially one between nonprofessional contestants.
• Femocrat: An influential female civil servant or politician, especially one noted for feminist views.
• Ozzie and Harriet: A married couple, especially regarded as exemplifying traditional, wholesome or idealized domesticity.
• Poltroon: A spiritless coward; a mean-spirited, worthless wretch; a craven.
• Slumgum: The residual wax … and other impurities that remain when the honey and most of the wax are extracted from honeycombs by warming them.
• Tubigrip: A proprietary name for a tubular, elasticated bandage intended to aid recovery of an injured limb, etc., by providing compression and support.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.