Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Snow 23° Snow
News >  Features

Physician can aid ADHD diagnosis

Anthony L. Komaroff Universal Uclick

DEAR DOCTOR K: I think my son may have ADHD. What should I be looking for?

DEAR READER: Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder can be a major problem for some kids (and even some adults). It can interfere with schoolwork, with friendships and socializing, and complicate the relationship between children and their parents. Kids with ADHD have inattention (inability to pay attention), hyperactivity (always being on the move) and impulsive behavior (acting without self-control).

At times, nearly every child will fail to finish tasks, play recklessly or whirl about in constant activity. However, these behaviors happen much more often in children with ADHD.

The first step toward figuring out if your child has ADHD is to carefully observe your child’s behavior at home and in other settings. Look for signs of inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity. Symptoms usually start before age 7. Ask your son’s teachers if they see these behaviors in the classroom.

If you suspect your child has ADHD, talk to your pediatrician. He or she may manage the problem or refer you to a specialist.

There is no single test for ADHD. The diagnosis will be based on information about your child’s behavior provided by you and your child, your child’s school and other caregivers. The doctor will also perform a physical exam to make sure that another condition is not affecting your son’s behavior. For example, trouble hearing or seeing, learning disabilities, seizure disorders and anxiety can affect behavior. They can lead to the mistaken diagnosis of ADHD.

If your child is diagnosed with ADHD, the doctor will work with you to make a treatment plan. There is no cure for ADHD, but a combination of medication and behavior therapy definitely can help your child focus his thoughts and control his behavior. In some cases, your child’s school will provide special services to facilitate your child’s learning.

To send questions, go to, or write: Ask Doctor K, 10 Shattuck St., Second Floor, Boston, MA 02115.
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox

Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.