Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Snow 26° Snow
Sports

NFL notes: Junior Seau family not allowed to speak at Hall of Fame induction ceremony

Associated Press

CANTON, Ohio – Junior Seau’s daughter will not be commenting on her father entering the Pro Football Hall of Fame during the Aug. 8 inductions.

Citing previous policies on posthumous inductions, the Hall has barred Sydney Seau from making a speech. Seau, who committed suicide in 2012, is one of seven men being inducted this year.

In a statement from Joe Horrigan, the executive vice president and chief communications officer for the Hall, a 2010 policy was referenced on Friday.

“The policy of the Pro Football Hall of Fame since 2010 regarding individuals enshrined posthumously provides for an expanded presenting video (longer than the videos of living inductees) followed by the traditional unveiling of the bronzed bust and no additional comments made from the podium,” Horrigan said.

In a New York Times story, Sydney Seau said: “It’s frustrating because the induction is for my father and for the other players, but then to not be able to speak, it’s painful. I just want to give the speech he would have given.”

Seau, who played 20 seasons as one of the NFL’s best linebackers, shot and killed himself. Doctors later diagnosed Seau with traumatic brain injury they believed attributable to playing football, particuarly to hits to his head.

His family also has sued the NFL.

But Sydney Seau told the Times none of that was planned in her speech.

Saints release Galette

The New Orleans Saints have cut Junior Galette, who has been among their top pass-rushers the past two seasons and last year signed a four-year, $41.5 million contract extension.

Galette was arrested in January after an alleged domestic dispute. Charges were dropped, but the incident remains under review by the NFL. The league also is reviewing a video which shows a man resembling Galette in an altercation on a beach.

Miami releases Freeman

Quarterback Josh Freeman’s bid to jump-start his career with the Miami Dolphins has ended even before training camp.

Freeman, a 2009 first-round draft pick, was released by the Dolphins.

Around the league

Buccaneers CB C.J. Wilson has been placed on the reserve/retired list while he recovers from losing two fingers on his right hand in a July 4 fireworks accident. The third-year pro out of North Carolina State is one of two NFL players, along with DE Jason Pierre-Paul of the New York Giants, who suffered hand injuries in accidents involving fireworks during the holiday weekend. … Broncos LB Derek Wolfe was suspended for the first month of the season for violating the league’s policy on performance enhancing substances. … Chiefs CB Sean Smith will miss the first three games of the regular season after he was suspended for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. Smith, who was arrested last year on a drunken driving charge, pleaded guilty earlier this year. … Cowboys RB Joseph Randle has been put on six months of probation for stealing $123 worth of cologne and underwear from a Texas mall.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the sports newsletter

Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.