Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Cloudy 36° Cloudy
News >  Nation/World

Security video catches hoverboard catching fire in home

Associated Press

HIGHLAND PARK, Ill. – A security camera inside a suburban Chicago home recorded a hoverboard catching fire shortly after a child left the house, which was extensively damaged by the blaze.

Homeowner Dan Perper says the video shows his 11-year-old daughter grabbing her soccer bag and leaving for practice just before the fire ignited on Feb. 16. Authorities believe the fire was caused by the hoverboard’s batteries.

Perper says he found his Highland Park home in flames and says it’s a miracle no one was hurt. The family dog, Ozzy, is recovering from smoke inhalation.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating fires tied to hoverboards in at least 19 states.

The motorized scooters are made by several manufacturers. Three U.S. airlines have banned them, citing potential fire danger from their lithium-ion batteries.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.