Col. Jerry Russell, chief of the Idaho State Police, just presented stats to lawmakers in response to questions last month about the ISP’s staffing. When compared to the six surrounding states - Wyoming, Montana, Nevada, Utah, Washington, and Oregon - Idaho ranks dead last for its number of troopers per citizen, with 11,288 citizens for every state trooper. Washington’s at 8,874. When compared to states of similar size - New Mexico, West Virginia, New Hampshire, Nebraska and Maine - Idaho again ranks dead last, by a huge margin/Betsy Russell, Eye On Boise. More here.
- Testimony: 'We want our gas tax back
- Maybe tax soda pop and candy?
- These fees already have gone up
- Hammond: 'Unring the bell' on trail funding
- What other states have tried
- 'The number will always be wrong'
- Starting from a tough place
Question: How concerned are you that Idaho State Police is underfunded and understaffed?