... he's sorry he was in a garage band decades ago.
1. The self-deprecating "Here's how bad we were ..." stories are some of the best.
2. It links you forever to an oddball brotherhood. (Yes, I know girls were in bands, too. But not on my block.)
3. In that magical moment when the band is counting off to the start of their song, the sound is all potential and promise.
4. Girls didn't always seem troubled by the fact the band was not actually any good.
5. Like my New Jersey cousins, Davey and Donny, anyone who was in a garage band got to at least imagine what it would be like if they made it big.