The Spokesman-Review is the largest news and information provider in the Inland Northwest. The newspaper traces its origin to the founding of the Spokane Falls Review in 1883. In 1893, the Review merged with its rival, The Spokesman, under the leadership of Publisher William H. Cowles. Later the company would buy the Spokane Daily Chronicle, which continued as a separate newspaper until Review and Chronicle newsrooms merged in 1983. The Chronicle existed until 1992. The Spokesman-Review is still owned by the Cowles family, whose members continue to reside in Spokane and are actively involved in civic betterment efforts in addition to Cowles Company operations. Today, publisher William Stacey Cowles represents the fourth generation of his family to oversee the newspaper.
Serving the Inland Northwest since 1883
William H. Cowles, publisher 1891-1946
William H. Cowles, Jr, publisher 1946-1970
William H. Cowles, 3rd, publisher 1970-1992
WILLIAM STACEY COWLES
Spokesman.com is the online edition of The Spokesman-Review, the 125-year-old daily newspaper in Spokane, Wash. This Web version includes current stories, photographs, special sections, multimedia features and a fee-for-use archive of articles from recent years. Access to breaking news stories and their related multimedia is free.
Earlier versions of The Spokesman-Review's online edition were known on the Web as SpokesmanReview.com, Spokane.net and VirtuallyNorthwest.com. Our online edition is now known as Spokesman.com. We expect more changes in online content and presentation as our newsroom evolves, so please send questions, complaints and suggestions to our online team at email@example.com.
While the print edition has been honored by the Society for News Design as one of the world’s best-designed newspapers, SpokesmanReview.com received the Online News Association's "General Excellence" award for medium (100,000 to 1 million monthly visitors) news sites in October 2005. In 2006, Newspaper Association of America gave the newspaper a Digital Edge award for Best Overall News Site in its circulation bracket. Spokane7.com, the newspaper's entertainment site, received Best Entertainment Site in the same competition and repeated that win in 2007.
Director, Digital Business Operations and Product Development
Human Resources Manager
Main offices of The Spokesman-Review are located at 999 W Riverside Ave, Spokane, WA 99201
Newsroom web team
- Gina Boysun, Online Director
- Dan Gayle, Online Developer
- Alison Boggs, Online Producer
- Colin Mulvany, Multimedia Editor/Videographer
Marketing web team
- Kathleen Coleman, Director of Digital Business Operations and New Product Development
- Steve McDonald, Digital Sales Manager
- Mike Harris, Chief Developer, Digital Products
- Joe Butler, Content Coordinator
- Arin Martinez, Senior Digital Media Account Executive
- Sarah Little, Online Advertising Account Executive
- Rebecca Brooking, Online Advertising account executive
- Dan Cooley, Online Ad Designer/coordinator
- Tyler Robinson, Online Ad Designer/coordinator
- Laura Morgan, Online Developer