Backed by Tutsi civilians, Burundi’s Tutsi-led army attacked and killed hundreds of Hutus in an area where the two ethnic groups have been struggling for land, according to a radio report Friday.
The assault killed at least 400 people, making it the deadliest attack so far this year in increasing ethnic violence in the country, independent radio Studio Ijambo said.
The attack occurred Jan. 5, but there was no word on why it wasn’t reported sooner.
The slaughter took place at Bukeye, 32 miles north of the capital, Bujumbura, the radio station said. The area has been the scene of an ongoing struggle between majority Hutus and minority Tutsis for land.
Studio Ijambo cited unidentified witnesses as its sources on the massacre. Military officials denied any knowledge of the killings, as did U.N. officials.
Click here to comment on this story »