April 2, 2006 in City

Event focuses on child abuse, neglect

The Spokesman-Review
 

Family activities, snacks and a free book for every child will highlight a ceremony Monday to launch this year’s Child Abuse Prevention Awareness Campaign in Kootenai County.

Held from 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the Harding Family Center, 411 N. 15th St., Coeur d’Alene, the event is aimed at increasing awareness about the dangers of child abuse and neglect.

Representatives from several social service agencies will join organizers to reaffirm the need for education and resources for families. Community members will receive blue ribbons to display throughout the month as a reminder.

In addition, the first Morgan Richardson Distinguished Advocate Award will be presented. The award will be given in honor of Richardson, the longtime director of Idaho Child Abuse Response and Education – ICARE – died in January after an illness.

For more information about the event, contact Tinka Schaffer, development director for Children’s Village, a Coeur d’Alene nonprofit agency, at (208) 667-1189.

Sandpoint

Car crash injures Montana woman

A Troy, Mont., woman was in stable condition at Bonner General Hospital in Sandpoint on Saturday night following a single-car accident on U.S. Highway 95.

Dawn M. Cannon, 36, was heading south on U.S. 95 near Mile Post 490 around 5:30 a.m. Saturday when she drove off the road, state police said.

Cannon reportedly overcorrected her 2003 Jeep Liberty and lost control of the vehicle, according to police reports. The car overturned several times and came to rest on the northbound roadside, officers said.

Spokane

Families displaced in midnight blazes

Spokane Fire Department crews were kept busy early Saturday by two blazes that started around midnight.

No one was injured in either fire, but two families were displaced as a result of the damage.

At about 11:57 p.m. Friday, firefighters were called to a two-story apartment building at 1714 W. Boone. When they arrived, they found flames coming from some construction material left on the front porch. Smoke damaged one of the apartments, according to a dispatcher, forcing its residents to seek temporary shelter from the American Red Cross.

About half an hour later, crews responded to another fire at 2121 N. Freya. That fire, which burned the attic and other parts of the house, was out by 3 a.m., and the residents are now under the care of the Red Cross.

Compiled from staff reports


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email