Men sentenced in CdA racing death

MONDAY, FEB. 2, 2009, 3:42 P.M.

Two 21-year-old Coeur d’Alene men convicted of killing a 14-year-old boy in an October 2006 street race could be out of prison within six months.

First District Judge Fred Gibler on Monday sentenced Dominick F. Salois to three years in prison and Daniel W. Cutting to two years in prison, in both cases before parole can be considered. But Gibler also retained jurisdiction over the case for six months.

That means the men will go to the North Idaho Correctional Institute in Cottonwood, and Gibler has six months to hold a hearing to decide if they should be released on probation or sent to prison in Boise.

Isaac W. Norris died and his mother, Glenda Norris, suffered severe injuries when their 1987 Chevy Caprice was struck by Salois’ 2006 Ford Mustang on Kathleen Avenue in Coeur d’Alene. Cutting swerved to avoid the Caprice and crashed his 2005 Subaru Impreza.

Witnesses estimated that Salois and Cutting, then teens, were driving between 60 and 80 mph in the 35 mph zone.

A jury found the men guilty of felony vehicular manslaughter in November. Neither had drugs or alcohol in his system, so they faced a maximum 10 years in prison instead of 15. Idaho has no minimum sentence for the crime.

Chief Deputy Prosecutor Marty Raap had asked for each man to get 10 years, with Salois eligible for parole in three years and Cutting eligible in two.

“You just plain have a debt to society when you do something like this, and you need to go sit in prison for a while,” Raap said. “There’s a big difference” between the Cottonwood center, which emphasizes assessment and rehabilitation programs, and other state prisons.

Raap acknowledged the men likely will be given probation once a hearing is held. That is “extremely common” in retained jurisdiction cases, he said.

Last month, 1st District Judge Charles Hosack handed a similar sentence to a 33-year-old Cocolalla man who killed a 10-year-old boy in a drunken driving crash in Coeur d’Alene last Memorial Day.

Ryan A. Jabaay pleaded guilty to felony vehicular manslaughter and aggravated drunken driving and faced a maximum 15 years in prison. He was sentenced to two years fixed with credit for time served and five years indeterminate for each charge, Raap said. Hosack retained jurisdiction over the case for six months as Jabaay completes alcohol treatment at Cottonwood.

Jabaay had been in custody since his arrest May 26 for causing a crash that killed Sawyer Frisbie, who was visiting from Dallesport, Wash., with his family.

Click here to comment on this story »