Arrow-right Camera


Region in brief: Drunken driver gets 15-year term

Thu., July 9, 2009

An Athol man who injured three University of Idaho students while driving drunk in February was sentenced Tuesday to 15 years in prison.

David Lee Wilder, 25, was arrested by Idaho State Police after causing a collision while driving on the wrong side of U.S. Highway 95 near Athol, the Kootenai County Prosecuting Attorney’s office said in a news release.

Wilder’s blood-alcohol content registered .21 and .18, well over Idaho’s legal limit of .08, the release said.

Wilder had one prior conviction for driving under the influence. The first four years of his sentence are fixed and must be served; the remaining 11 are indeterminate, meaning whether he must serve them depends on his behavior.

“The long sentence imposed by Judge (John) Mitchell reflects the impact upon the victims of this offense,” said Prosecuting Attorney Barry McHugh.

Alison Boggs

Man to plead guilty to murder

A man who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the slaying of a Boise State University student earlier this year is expected to plead guilty in the killing of a former high school classmate in Moscow, Idaho.

Latah County authorities say John Delling, who is accused of killing two people and linked to the wounding of a third during a 6,500-mile road trip, has indicated he will plead guilty in the 2007 murder of David Boss.

Delling has already pleaded guilty in the murder of Bradley Morse, whom he met on Internet gaming sites, in Ada County.

Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson said he plans to recommend the maximum sentence of life in prison.

Associated Press

Police say driver hit boy on bike

Police say a Spokane man who fled after hitting a bicyclist while leaving a bar Wednesday faces charges of driving under the influence, hit-and-run and driving while suspended.

Thomas Carson, 52, was leaving the Trent and Dale Tavern about 6:25 p.m. when three bicyclists were riding past, according to the Washington State Patrol. Carson’s truck struck the second cyclist, an 8-year-old boy.

Police said Carson fled the scene but was apprehended at his home.

The boy suffered minor injuries but was not taken to a hospital, police said.

Jody Lawrence-Turner


Click here to comment on this story »