Cougar volleyball opens with win
Washington State swept its way to a win Friday in its first volleyball match of the season, beating UC Irvine at the Cougar Invitational in Pullman.
Rachel Todorovich and Meagan Ganzer each had 12 kills for the Cougars. The game scores were 25-23, 25-15 and 25-19.
In the early match, Idaho opened its season with a 3-1 win over Weber State. Allison Walker had 23 kills in the Vandals’ 25-27, 25-16, 25-18, 25-22 victory.
Idaho faces UC Irvine today at noon and Washington State at 7 p.m.
• Gonzaga opened its season with a 3-0 loss to Drake in the opening match of the North Dakota Classic in Grand Forks, N.D., and the Bulldogs lost in five games later to host North Dakota.
Terran Poindexter led Gonzaga with nine kills along with seven digs in a 25-18, 25-16, 25-18 loss to Drake, and followed that up with 20 kills in a 23-25, 24-26, 25-17, 25-17, 15-8 loss to the Fighting Sioux.
• Eastern Washington started its season with a sweep of Mercer at the Seattle Invitational.
Chenoa Coviare collected 15 kills for the Eagles, who beat the Bears 26-24, 28-26, 25-13.
Eastern next faces No. 8 Washington, which also swept Mercer, tonight at 7.
No. 21 Washington State was upset in the opening match of the Aggieland Invitational in College Station, Texas, losing 2-1 to Long Beach State. Jazz Stozier scored in the 84th minute to give the 49ers the victory. Brandi Vega scored in the 68th minute for the Cougars (1-2-0).
• Gonzaga and Nevada played to a 1-all draw at the University of Montana Tournament in Missoula. Ashley Riley scored for the Bulldogs (1-1-1).
• Eastern and Cal State Bakersfield played to a 1-all draw in two overtimes in Bakersfield, Calif. Whitney Brannan scored for the Eagles in their opener.
• Megan Lopez and Erica Hart scored and Idaho (1-1) benefitted from an own goal in a 3-2 win over Northern Colorado 3-2 in Greeley, Colo.