May 14, 2010 in City

Woman treated after pesticide spill

The Spokesman-Review
 
Map of this story's location

A woman suffered shortness of breath and was hospitalized Thursday after some of the pesticides she was trying to purchase spilled at an East Sprague store.

The Spokane Fire Department called out a hazardous materials team to both contain the spill and decontaminate the woman before she could be transported to an area hospital, Assistant Chief Brian Schaeffer said.

The call reporting a woman out of breath came in at 4:49 p.m. at the Northwest Seed & Pet, 2422 E. Sprague Ave. But the call escalated when firefighters found the woman, who was in her 30s, lying on the sidewalk in front of the store, Schaeffer said.

The pesticide contained organophosphates, which attack the central nervous system and taken in significant doses can be deadly, Schaeffer said. “She was exposed to the product in liquid form and also inhaled it. But the amount was not significant enough to cause permanent damage,” he said.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus