Local news

House heavily damaged in fire

An electrical fire Wednesday left a West Broadway Avenue home badly damaged.

Firefighters responded to a house fire at 5:57 a.m. at 2709 W. Broadway Ave.

The first crews on the scene saw a one-and-a-half-story wood home with smoke coming from the roof and a window. They discovered a smoldering fire in the ceiling above the kitchen. Firefighters pulled down the ceiling in the kitchen and adjacent rooms to get to the fire, which had already done “considerable damage” to the structure, said Bob Green, battalion chief with the Spokane Fire Department.

The fire, which caused an estimated $30,000 in damage, was extinguished in about 20 minutes. No one was injured.

An unknown electrical malfunction likely caused the fire, he said.



Click here to comment on this story »






Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile