Several churches will present fun, family-oriented community events this weekend.
• Messiah Lutheran Church, 4202 N. Belt St., will present a Grandparents Day rally Sunday.
Worship will begin at 10 a.m. and will be followed with a barbecue. Grandparents are invited to worship, enjoy the barbecue and bring their children and grandchildren for fun and fellowship. Attendees should bring their own lawn chairs.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 327-4446.
• St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, 5720 S. Perry St., will present a community dance and barbecue Friday from 6 to 9 p.m.
The event will include a live band, barbecue, nonalcoholic beverages for purchase, a cakewalk and pictures.
The cost is $5. It is free for children 5 and younger.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 448-2255.
• The women of Covenant United Methodist Church, 15515 N. Gleneden Drive, will present its Fall Flea Market Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The event will feature more than 45 vendors selling handcrafted goods, antiques and used items.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 466-1768.
• The Spokane Buddhist Temple will present the movie, “Secondhand Lions” Saturday in The Shop parking lot, 924 S. Perry St., at dusk.
Attendees should bring their own chairs, blankets and coats.
For more information, call the temple office at (509) 534-7954.
• St. Peter Lutheran Church , 4620 N. Regal St., will present a summer celebration Sunday.
The day will begin with a worship service at 10 a.m. and will include camp songs, balloons, ice cream bars, fellowship and brunch.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 487-4843.
The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, 127 E. 12th Ave., will present organist Christopher Nelson, Sunday at 4 p.m.
There will be a suggested donation of $5 to support the church’s concert series.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 838-4277.
Classes, lectures and discussions
• Shadle Park Presbyterian Church, 5508 N. Alberta St., will present “Faith in Action,” a six-week study of the book “Hole in the Gospel,” by Richard Stearns, starting Sunday.
Classes will be offered at 9 a.m. Sundays and 7 p.m. on Wednesdays.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 327-5522.
• Summit Ridge Christian Fellowship, 5607 S. Freya St., will present its fall study of the Ten Commandments Sunday at 10 a.m.
The study will kick off Sunday at 10 a.m. with a worship service and a pancake breakfast after the service. On Sept. 19, the church will begin studying the Ten Commandments in the sermon and during children’s classes and small groups.
For more information, call (509) 443-8079.
• Westgate Christian Church, 7111 N. Nine Mile Road, will present “Bringing God’s Word to the Islamic World,” Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Topics include the rise of Islam and its impact on the church, the doctrine of salvation in Islam and Islam’s doctrine of Christ.
For more information, call the church office at (509) 327-6337.
• Spokane Central Seventh-day Adventist Church, 828 W. Spofford Ave., will offer the GriefShare seminar presented by Still Waters Ministry starting Sunday at 3 p.m.
For more information, call Steve at (509) 990-5875.
The Gonzaga University School of Law will present its annual Red Mass for the legal profession Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. at St. Aloysius Church, 330 E. Boone Ave.
A reception will follow the service from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Cataldo Hall.
All members of the legal profession are invited to attend.
For more information, call Brooke Ellis at (509) 313-3759.