Clemens case involves Jays
Police searched the offices of the Toronto Blue Jays and turned over documents in connection with the perjury case against seven-time Cy Young winner Roger Clemens.
Two officers executed the search in June and assisted the U.S. Justice Department by forwarding the two boxes they obtained, police spokesman Const. Tony Vella said Thursday.
Vella called it a U.S. investigation and said the Blue Jays cooperated with the court order. He declined to say if medical records were obtained.
Clemens pleaded not guilty last month to charges of lying to Congress about whether he used steroids or human growth hormone.
Clemens won Cy Young Awards in Toronto in 1997 and 1998. Most of the accusations against Clemens are based on the word of Brian McNamee, once the Blue Jays’ strength and conditioning coach.
Reds mark Rose’s hits record Sunday
For the first time since 1989, Pete Rose will step onto the Cincinnati Reds’ field Sunday, for a ceremony commemorating the 25th anniversary of his major league-record 4,192nd hit.
Rose, 69, remains banned for life from Major League Baseball after striking a 1989 settlement with then-commissioner Bart Giamatti following an investigation that found Rose had made bets on the Reds to win games while he managed the team.
Sunday’s event marks the third time since the ban that Rose has been allowed to take part in an MLB ceremony.
Phils’ Polanco playing with break in elbow
Phillies third baseman Placido Polanco is playing with a small break in his left elbow, but is postponing surgery until after the season because N.L. East-leading Philadelphia is in a pennant race.
“I have a broken elbow, but it is rather small and will be operated on at the end of the year,” Polanco said. “I have not been operated on before because I would have lost the season if I did it.”