April 15, 2011 in Sports

Source: MLB set to revisit scope of replay usage in games

Associated Press
 
Associated Press photo

This photo shows MLB’s instant-replay display shown in the umpires’ room at Wrigley Field in Chicago.
(Full-size photo)

By the numbers

$470,854: Amount of claim filed by Blue Jays against Canadian government to cover lost revenue when the team had to move a three-game series due to the G-20 summit in Toronto last season.

48-17: Milwaukee Brewers’ record against division rival Pittsburgh Pirates since the beginning of the 2007 season.

Shane Victorino charges hard from center field, chasing a sinking line drive. His glove, the ball and the grass all smack together at the same time. What’s the call?

Next year, it well could be: Let’s look at the replay!

Major League Baseball is leaning toward expanding replay for the 2012 season to include trapped balls and fair-or-foul rulings down the lines, a person familiar with the talks said.

Commissioner Bud Selig and a group of umpires discussed the extra video review at spring training and were in agreement, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the matter is still being discussed.

“Yeah to all of them, oh yeah,” St. Louis reliever Ryan Franklin said. “I just think they should all be called the right way, and it doesn’t matter if it takes an extra five minutes. … Don’t take so long between innings, cut 10 seconds off between every half-inning and that could make up for five minutes for the replay on a trapped ball or something like that. It doesn’t happen that often.”

Baseball began using replay late in the 2008 season, but only to check potential home run balls.

Out-or-safe calls on the bases, like the one that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game last year, would not be subject to review. Nor would ball-or-strike decisions.

Players and umpires approved adding replay three years ago. MLB’s contract with the umpires runs through 2014; the labor deal with players expires this December.

Lincecum gives $25K

Giants ace Tim Lincecum is giving $25,000 to assist the longtime San Francisco fan who was attacked outside Dodger Stadium last month.

The two-time N.L. Cy Young Award winner’s donation will go to the Bryan Stow Fund to help with the 42-year-old paramedic’s medical bills and other expenses. The father of two was beaten in a parking lot outside Dodger Stadium after the teams’ March 31 season opener and remains hospitalized in Los Angeles in a medically induced coma. No arrests have been made despite a $150,000 reward.

Feliciano may be lost

Yankees reliever Pedro Feliciano has a torn capsule in his left shoulder and will get a second opinion before deciding if he should have season-ending surgery.

New York’s left-handed specialist has been on the disabled list since the start of the season with what was described as a rotator cuff strain, but a contrast MRI showed the tear.

Feliciano said he will see noted orthopedist James Andrews on Monday then choose a course of action.

© Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email