August 13, 2011 in Nation/World

In brief: Man arrested in bomb attempt

From Wire Reports

OKLAHOMA CITY – A 40-year-old Oklahoma man has been arrested on accusations that he attached an improvised explosive device to a natural gas pipeline in eastern Oklahoma.

The FBI identified the suspect Friday as Daniel Wells Herriman, of Konawa, and said Herriman acknowledged making and placing the device Sunday on the pipeline and putting a timer on it set for 2 a.m. The device did not go off and there was no damage. FBI spokesman Clay Simmonds said the agency has no motive yet.

A federal complaint says the IED was discovered Wednesday on a pipeline at the Enerfin Resources substation. Company workers discovered the device. Herriman was arrested on charges of attempting to destroy property used in interstate or foreign commerce. Online court records did not indicate whether Herriman had an attorney.

Refugees face federal charges

PHOENIX – Authorities filed federal charges Friday against three African refugees after an item first thought to be a bomb was found in one of their carry-on bags at Phoenix’s airport.

Luwiza Daman, 51, Shullu Gorado, 25, and Shani Asa, 34, face federal charges of possessing a package that appeared to be an explosive device. They had been charged in a local court with having a hoax device and conspiracy to obtain a hoax device, although it was unclear Friday whether those counts were still pending.

Daman, Gorado and Asa were being held until a hearing Tuesday in federal court. They have declined to speak to the Associated Press and it was unclear whether they have lawyers.

The three are from Eritrea, a small country on the Red Sea in the Horn of Africa, and are described by authorities as acquaintances. Daman was living in Des Moines, Iowa, while Gorado and Asa were living in separate apartments in Phoenix.

Alleged leader of gang guilty

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – A man who authorities say led one of South Florida’s most violent gangs has been convicted of federal racketeering charges.

A Palm Beach County jury on Friday convicted 30-year-old Futo Charles of racketeering and conspiracy to commit racketeering. Each charge could carry 30 years in prison.

Authorities in Palm Beach County have linked Charles’ Top 6 gang to 14 homicides and more than 150 shootings in the past few years – all part of a gang war. Authorities estimate the gang grew to more than 400 members.

Charles, who says Top 6 is a rap group, had faced a slew of charges, including drug possession and attempted murder.

Witness Eguel Geffrard was supposed to testify in the trial on Monday, but police found him shot to death in a parking lot that same day.

There are two comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email