Low-level calls keep crews busy
Spokane Valley Fire Department crews had a relatively active two weeks from Dec. 8-21 but no major calls among the 400 incidents they responded to.
Crews responded to a report of a fire in the 9500 block of East Fourth at 12:43 p.m. on Wednesday. Firefighters found a smoking electrical outlet and the power was turned off, said Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford. “They were just advised to contact an electrician,” Clifford said.
A vacant home that was set on fire by a teen playing with matches in the spring caught fire again recently. Crews were called to 15622 E. Fourth Ave. at 1:03 p.m. on Dec. 20 to find a fire in the basement. “It was very small,” Clifford said. The fire is considered suspicious and is under investigation, he said.
Eight illegal outdoor fires were reported during the two weeks. “People were just burning yard debris and burning things they shouldn’t be burning,” he said. Most of the area the department covers is a permanent no-burn zone, he said. “No yard debris in our jurisdiction, period.”
A car was reported on fire in the 2900 block of North Argonne Road at 9:53 a.m. on Dec. 22. Firefighters discovered a car that had been driven into a building and appeared to be smoking, Clifford said. “It was more of a crash than anything,” he said.
A pedestrian was hit by a car while crossing the 6300 block of East Sprague Avenue at 1:06 a.m. on Dec. 10. The victim appeared to have a minor head injury and was taken to the hospital for evaluation, Clifford said.
There were a total of 28 vehicle accidents reported and seven people transported to the hospital. Crews responded to 328 EMS calls, two reports of a natural gas odor and three water leaks. Firefighters also freed a child locked inside a running vehicle parked outside the Krispy Kreme.