March 1, 2011 in Business

Deep-water drilling set to resume in Gulf

U.S. issues first permit since last year’s BP oil spill
Chris Kahn Associated Press
 

NEW YORK – The U.S. has approved the first deep-water drilling permit in the Gulf of Mexico since BP’s massive oil spill.

The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement announced Monday that it issued a permit to Noble Energy Inc. to continue work on its Santiago well about 70 miles southeast of Venice, La. Drilling will resume nearly one year after BP’s blowout created the worst offshore spill in U.S. history.

Noble started drilling the well four days before the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded on April 20. The project was put on hold on June 12 after the U.S. placed a moratorium on exploration in waters deeper than 500 feet.

No new deep-water permits had been issued since the moratorium was lifted in October. Regulators have been under pressure from the oil industry and some lawmakers to get drilling projects started again in the Gulf while ensuring that new safeguards are in place.

Environmental groups want the government to hold off on permits and force oil companies to further study the effects of drilling on fragile marine habitats.

At 6,500 feet below the surface, Noble’s well is deeper than BP’s blown-out Macondo well. In a worst-case scenario, the company told regulators, its well could spill nearly 3 million gallons of oil per day into the Gulf. At its peak, the BP well spilled 2.6 million gallons per day.

Noble had drilled to a depth of 13,585 feet before the moratorium and has about 5,400 feet to go.

The permit is for a “bypass” well, which allows the driller to take a slightly different path than previously expected. Drilling is expected to recommence in April.

Director Michael Bromwich said that Noble demonstrated it is capable of containing a well blowout, a key requirement for permit approval. Noble contracted with the Helix Well Containment Group to use its emergency capping stack to stop the flow of oil in case it loses control of the well.

Another emergency containment solution, offered by a consortium led by Exxon Mobil Corp., was announced earlier this month.

“We expect further deep-water permits to be approved in coming weeks and months based on the same process that led to the approval of this permit,” Bromwich said.

The U.S. has approved other permits for new wells, including 37 in shallow water, since the moratorium was lifted. It also has approved 22 other applications for activity on deep-water wells that were not suspended by the moratorium.

© Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


There is one comment on this story. Click here to view comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email