May 28, 2011 in City

Serial arsonist gets a fiery rebuke

42-year-old sentenced to 10 years under deal
By The Spokesman-Review
 
Map of this story's location

A serial arsonist’s prolific criminal past earned him the wrath of a federal judge who on Friday sentenced the man to 10 years in prison.

Anthony W. Sotin, 42, previously agreed to accept responsibility for setting his own car on fire on Jan.12, and later torching a commercial building at 13412 E. Nora Ave. on Feb. 9. The commercial building was next to an occupied apartment complex.

A third charge of wire fraud was dismissed.

But U.S. District Court Judge Justin Quackenbush clearly was reluctant to accept the terms of the agreement, noting that Sotin’s first conviction came at age 14.

“I have been on the federal bench from Houston, to Las Vegas to San Francisco and thousands of cases in my home district,” he said. “I don’t know that I have ever seen as an egregious criminal history as with you. A rational judge could conclude that Mr. Sotin should be locked up for the rest of his life to protect others.”

Assistant U.S. Attorney Timothy Durkin indicated in court that prosecutors accepted the plea agreement without full knowledge of Sotin’s criminal history. Despite that, they believed the plea agreement should stand.

Kailey Moran, of the Federal Defenders of Eastern Washington and Idaho, noted that Sotin has accepted responsibility and has agreed to pay more than $171,000 in restitution.

“It’s almost as though Mr. Sotin is two people,” Moran told the judge. “There is this loving father who graduated college … and then there’s this 50-some page document that shows otherwise.”

The judge indicated that Sotin, who was convicted of arson in 1988 under a plea that dismissed charges related to several other arsons, remains under investigation for other unsolved suspicious fires.

“I have reservations about whether a sentence of 10 years is appropriate. I have concluded with some reluctance that I will follow this agreement,” Quackenbush said.

As part of the agreement, the judge told Sotin that he would be barred from filing any “clearly frivolous” lawsuits, following previous suits Sotin filed against prosecutors, judges, victims and his own attorneys.

Sotin, who hung his head during most of the proceeding, apologized to the judge and promised better behavior.

“I’m guilty of these crimes,” he said with difficulty. “I can’t believe my life turned this direction. I thought I was on the path to better things.”

Quackenbush was unmoved.

“I hope you have reached the age, maturity and manhood to realize that this conduct will not be tolerated,” he said. “It’s hard for me to understand how you profess to be a Christian and yet go out and do the things you did in this case – burn people’s property and put firefighters at risk.”

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus