Alabama embarrasses Arkansas at home
Eddie Lacy ran for three touchdowns and No. 1 Alabama forced five turnovers in a 52-0 win over Arkansas in Fayetteville, Ark.
Vinnie Sunseri and Haha Clinton-Dix had interceptions against the Razorbacks, who played without quarterback Tyler Wilson because he had a head injury in last week’s loss to Louisiana-Monroe.
The shutout was the second straight for the Crimson Tide (3-0, 1-0 Southeastern Conference). The last time Alabama, which has now forced 11 turnovers this season, had back-to-back shutouts was against Vanderbilt and Kentucky in 1980.
AJ McCarron was 11-of-16 passing for 189 yards and a touchdown.
The Razorbacks (1-2, 0-1) had just 44 yards of total offense at halftime and 137 for the game. The Razorbacks were held scoreless in Razorback Stadium for the first time since a 7-0 loss to Baylor in 1966.
(5) Florida State 52, Wake Forest 0: Chris Thompson scored on runs of 74 and 80 yards on successive carries to lead the Seminoles (3-0) to a victory over the Demon Deacons (2-1) in Tallahassee, Fla. Thompson, who suffered a broken back at Wake Forest a year ago that nearly ended his career, already had a career-high 197 yards following his 80-yard touchdown run that put the Seminoles into a 28-0 lead with 9:42 remaining in the first half.
(7) Georgia 56, Florida Atlantic 20: Aaron Murray passed for a career-best 342 yards and two touchdowns, also scored twice on short runs, and the Bulldogs bounced back from another slow start to rout the Owls in Athens, Ga. Playing without Jarvis Jones and two other defensive stalwarts, Georgia (3-0) struggled in the first half to slow a Florida Atlantic (1-2) team that scored a single touchdown against lower-division Wagner.
(8) South Carolina 49, UAB 6: Connor Shaw went 8 of 14 for 107 yards before reinjuring his throwing shoulder as the Gamecocks beat the Blazers in Columbia, S.C. Sophomore Dylan Thompson took over again, throwing a 95-yard touchdown pass to Damiere Byrd that put South Carolina (3-0) up 35-6 midway through the third quarter. UAB (0-2) gained 267 yards but was kept out of the end zone.
(9) West Virginia 42, James Madison 12: Geno Smith completed 34 of 39 passes for 411 yards and five touchdowns, and the Mountaineers (2-0) rolled to a win over the Dukes (2-1) in Landover, Md. Smith set the school’s career passing yardage record, topping Marc Bulger.
(11) Clemson 41, Furman 7: Tajh Boyd threw for 310 yards and three touchdown passes, Sammy Watkins had a 58-yard touchdown run in his season debut and the Tigers (3-0) won their 30th straight over the visiting Paladins (0-3). Andre Ellington added a pair of rushing touchdowns for Clemson. Watkins finished with four catches for 52 yards.
Pittsburgh 35, (13) Virginia Tech 17: Ray Graham ran for 94 yards and two scores and added an 18-yard touchdown reception to lead the host Panthers (1-2) to an upset of the Hokies (2-1). Tino Sunseri passed for 283 yards and two touchdowns and freshman running back Rushel Shell added 157 yards as Pitt gave coach Paul Chryst his first career victory in emphatic fashion.
(14) Texas 66, Mississippi 31: David Ash threw for a career-high 326 yards and four touchdowns and the Longhorns (3-0) easily beat the Rebels (2-1) at Oxford, Miss. Ash connected on touchdown passes of 46 and 55 yards as the Longhorns gained 676 total yards. Mike Davis caught five passes for 124 yards and a touchdown while Marquise Goodwin rushed for 80 yards, caught two passes for 102 yards and scored two touchdowns.
(15) Kansas State 35, North Texas 21: Collin Klein threw for 230 yards and accounted for three touchdowns, Tyler Lockett returned a kickoff 96 yards for another score and the Wildcats (3-0) eased past the Mean Green (1-2) in Manhattan, Kan. Tramaine Thompson caught five passes for 102 yards and two scores, and John Hubert added a touchdown on the ground for Kansas State.
(16) TCU 20, Kansas 6: Casey Pachall threw for 335 yards and two touchdowns, both of them to Brandon Carter, and the Horned Frogs (2-0) beat the Jayhawks (1-2) in Lawrence, Kan., in their Big 12 debut. Carter finished with eight catches for 141 yards, and Waymon James added 99 yards rushing for TCU.
(17) Michigan 63, Massachusetts 13: Denard Robinson put up 397 yards of total offense and accounted for four touchdowns in the Wolverine’s rout of the Minutemen (0-3) in Ann Arbor, Mich.Robinson, who came out of the game with Michigan (2-1) leading 56-13 late in the third quarter, rushed for 106 yards and a touchdown and completed 16 of 24 passes for 291 yards and three scores. Tailback Fitzgerald Toussaint had 85 yards and a touchdown against the Minutemen.
(18) Florida 37, (23) Tennessee 20: Jeff Driskel threw two TD passes and Trey Burton rushed for a pair of scores as the Gators (3-0) scored the final 24 points to beat the Volunteers (2-1) in Knoxville, Tenn. Burton, a fullback who often takes snaps out of the Wildcat formation, raced 80 yards down the right sideline to tie the score at 20 with 3:15 left in the third quarter.
(19) Louisville 39, North Carolina 34: Teddy Bridgewater threw three first-half touchdowns and the Cardinals (3-0) scored on their first six possessions, and then had to hold the Tar Heels (1-2) with a late goal-line stand to come away with a victory at Louisville, Ky. Bryn Renner settled down from a rough first half to rally UNC from a 36-7 deficit with four second-half touchdowns, including a screen pass to Romar Morris for a 50-yard touchdown.
I'm delighted that the city of Coeur d'Alene will recognize the late Art Manley and Scott Reed with a special day Friday. The two conservationists left their fingerprints over so ...
City staff recommends that the Spokane Valley City Council hire a consultant to search for a new city manager, which is expected to cost about $35,000. Expect a discussion about ...
Nobody has asked me, but here are a few answers. No, there will not be a summer convention of the Marmot Lodge, at which delegates will select a new newsroom ...
UPDATE, 11:30 a.m. -- Wildlife officials euthanize moose after determining it's injuries too severe. WILDLIFE -- At 9:30 a.m. today wildlife managers were rushing to the scene of an injured ...