A fire broke out in a Spokane home for the second time in a week.
The Spokane Fire Department responded to a small fire at a duplex near E. South Riverton Avenue and E. Mission Avenue about 4:42 a.m. today, according to Battalion Chief Bruce Moline.
Four teenage boys were burning wood pallets in a fireplace without a screen and the fire extended outside the fireplace, burning the floor and the joists below it.
The mother of two of the boys, along with her live-in boyfriend, was staying in a motel provided by the American Red Cross after an unrelated electrical fire broke out in the home’s attic Wednesday.
The boys, about 15 and 16 years old, were watching over the home, Moline said. They were using the fireplace for heat because there still was no electricity.
The fire is still under investigation, but Moline estimated there could be about $8,000 to $10,000 in damage from today’s fire.
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.