Jason Monda’s grand slam highlighted an eight-run eighth inning and the Washington State Cougars (14-8) unleashed the bats en route to a 20-1 nonconference win over the Brown Bears (1-9) on Sunday in Pullman.
Adam Nelubowich had two hits, including a double, and drove in four runs for the Cougars, who piled up 18 hits in the rout.
Scott Simon (2-0) allowed one run on six hits in seven innings to pick up the win for WSU. He struck out five and walked one.
• Ryan Wiggins had three hits and drove in three runs to power the Washington Huskies (6-16, 2-4) to an 8-3 win over the USC Trojans (9-15, 2-4) in the rubber game of a three-game Pac-12 series in Seattle.
Washington reliever Zach Wright (1-2) tossed three shutout innings to earn the victory.
• The 25th-ranked San Diego Toreros (15-8, 4-2) pushed across two runs in the top of the ninth inning to rally for a 10-9 victory over the host Gonzaga Bulldogs (14-7-1, 4-2).
Marco Gonzales had four hits, including a double, for the Bulldogs, while Alex Bonczyk collected three hits, all singles.
• Zach Brandon (4-1) tossed five shutout innings and the visiting sixth-ranked Linfield Wildcats (18-3, 11-1) rolled to a 10-5 win and a three-game sweep of the defending league champion Whitworth Pirates (9-12-1, 4-5) in Northwest Conference play.
Jason Renner (1-2) surrendered eight runs on eight hits in four innings to take the loss.
Tyler Pfeffer had two hits, including a double, and drove in a run for the Pirates.
• The Community Colleges of Spokane Sasquatch (9-7) swept visiting Grays Harbor (2-15) in a nonconference doubleheader.
Rodee Anderson had four hits and the Sasquatch used a six-run first inning to beat the Chokers 12-2 in the opener.
J.R. Henry and Colin Peterson each had two RBIs and Trevor LaHonta scored all four runs as the Sasquatch posted a 4-2 win in the nightcap.
The Whitworth Pirates (15-11, 12-8) rolled to a 15-5 six-inning win and a 10-0 five-inning win over host Lewis & Clark in Northwest Conference action.
Jamie Brunner had four hits, including a home run, and six RBIs on the day to pace the Pirates.
• Chelsea Goodacre homered and drove in three runs to lead the 16th-ranked Arizona Wildcats (21-9, 1-1) to a 7-4 win over the visiting 17th-ranked Washington Huskies (23-8, 1-1) and a split of the first two games of the three-game Pac-12 series.
Click here to comment on this story »