If you followed the news last week, you could be a winner in our weekly news quiz. Warm up by taking the newspaper version, then go to www.spokesman.com/newsquiz, where top online entries go into a drawing for a $50 gift card to the Davenport Hotel, and all entries go into a drawing for movie tickets.
1. WSU recently hired two researchers for its Spokane campus to study what?
A. How to make animals’ bones heal faster
B. How cancer cells grow
C. How to make Spokane more bicycle and pedestrian friendly
D. How to make sanitary sewer systems less expensive
E. Why more young people aren’t remaining in Spokane when they reach adulthood
2. Who was the winner of the 51st Lilac Invitational golf tournament?
A. Peter Sisich
B. Jason Humphrey
C. Corey Prugh
D. Tony Robydek
E. Bart Hamilton
3. North Idaho’s crime rate is the highest in the state. Kootenai County Sheriff Ben Wolfinger says a major factor in that statistic is what?
A. Crooks from outside the Inland Northwest who find North Idaho easy pickings
B. Resort town culture of not locking cars and residence doors
C. The high percentage of young people in the area
D. The rural nature of the area
E. The proximity of Spokane County, with its 600,000 people
4. Washington added a new weapon to help with wildfire suppression this season. What is it?
A. Aerial retardant that is also fertilizer
B. A new satellite viewing system to track fires
C. A drone to monitor fire activity
D. A dozen mini-bulldozers to carve fire lines in hard-to-reach areas
E. All of the above
5. In a new phone scam in Idaho and throughout the region, the caller masquerades as what?
A. A travel agent
B. An FBI agent
C. An insurance agent
D. An IRS agent
E. A real estate agent
Check your work
Find answers and winners on page B3.