March 26, 2014 in Nation/World

Two U.N. staffers snatched in Yemen; one freed

Associated Press
 

SANAA, Yemen – Two U.N. staff members were abducted Tuesday in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, and one was later freed, officials said.

The Italian Foreign Ministry in Rome confirmed that an Italian citizen working for the United Nations Development Program had been released but provided no details.

The United Nations confirmed in a statement that two of its staff members were abducted in Sanaa, and one has since been released. The status of the other staffer is being verified, according to the statement.

The U.N. statement provided no further details. A U.N. official said the United Nations was seeking information on the U.N. driver kidnapped with the Italian staff member.

© Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email