87, was born in Boston to Arthur B. and Marion Campbell Craig.
A descendant of William Bradford, first governor of the Mayflower Plymouth Colony, he was the eldest of three children, growing up in Wollaston, Massachusetts.
He graduated from the Quincy High School where he was captain of the football team.
Besides Eagle Scout activities, he was active in other sports during his teenage years.
Skiing at Stowe, Vermont, sailing at Lake Winnipisaukee, Maine, and tennis anywhere made for happy memories.
Two years at Williams College were followed by two years at Harvard, graduating in 1947.
He entered Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, receiving his medical degree in June, 1951.
That same month he and Hopkins classmate, Joan Groschupf were married in Spokane by her father, Rev.
John M. Groschupf of Emmanuel Lutheran Church.
They returned to Baltimore as the first married interns allowed to live together within the Hopkins system, while serving their internships.
Dr. Craig joined the U.S. Public Health Service, specializing in pulmonary medicine.
He was assigned to the Tacoma Indian Hospital where patients with tuberculosis from all the west coast Indian tribes, Alaska to New Mexico, were treated.
New drug therapy at the time was remarkably successful, replacing prolonged hospitalizations and isolation with outpatient clinics and follow-up care.
Having completed a three year residency at the University of Washington, Dr. Craig returned to Johns Hopkins on a fellowship in pulmonary physiology, studying the problems of asthma pulmonary obstructive diseases and emphysema.
Upon return to Seattle he was on the staff of the Firlands Sanatorium before relocating permanently to Spokane in 1957.
He and his wife opened their first office in the Paulsen Building, moving soon thereafter to the new Medical Center Building at 8th and McClellan.
With separate practices, he in pulmonary disease and she in hematology-oncology, patients soon learned that they did not share call with each other.
Remaining in solo practice until 1988, they joined the Rockwood Clinic in anticipation of retirement, leaving patients and records in good hands.
On leaving the active care of patients, Dr. Craig became the medical director of the western division of The Guardian Insurance Company on Magnesium Road, remaining there nine years.
In the interim Dr. Joan Craig became the medical director of the Sacred Heart Cancer Center, a forerunner of Cancer Care Northwest.
During his years in Spokane Dr. Craig served as the tuberculosis control officer for Spokane County.
When Medicare was introduced in 1966, as president of the Spokane Medical Society he faced the familiar uproar that accompanies national changes in health care.
He was president of the Spokane Society of Internal Medicine, and served on many medical positions and committees of the Sacred Heart, Deaconess and St. Luke’s Hospitals.
He was a founding member of the Inland Northwest Community Foundation, and an early board member of the Spokane Mental Health Association.
An avid tennis player, he was a member of the Spokane Racquet Club for many years, and he sang tenor with the St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church choir from 1958 to 2008.
In 2007 the Craigs moved to their home in the Rockwood South Retirement Community.
Dr. Craig is survived by his wife of 63 years; four sons and their wives, Brad Craig (Suzanne), San Francisco, Dr. Paul Craig (Dr. Joni Nichols), Spokane, David Craig (Cathy), Sammamish, and Andrew (Brenda), Spokane; and a daughter, Ann Elizabeth Lisa Napoli (Gregg), San Francisco.
Seven grandsons and eight granddaughters also survive.
Dr. Craig was preceded in death by his daughter Caroline Augustyn, M.D., May 10, 2012 and her husband Damian Augustyn, M.D., October, 2012 in San Francisco.
He is survived by his sister, Marylyn Lightfoot, of Mercer Island and his brother, Glenn Craig in Oakland, California.
A memorial service will be held May 9th at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist.