Arrow-right Camera
News >  Features >  Washington Voices

Television set on fire when Spokane Valley fire crews arrive

A couple of curious fires caught the attention of the Spokane Valley Fire Department.

On May 2, crews responded to a reported brush fire on Dick Road. A large television that apparently had been unused for years was on fire in the yard, said Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford. Someone was there trying to put the fire out with a garden hose. “We don’t know any other circumstances,” he said.

A trash fire was reported in the 5000 block of East Second Avenue the morning of May 6. When crews arrived they found a tent that had burned but no one was around, Clifford said. Neighbors said a homeless person had been camping on the vacant land.

Other calls from May 1-14:

May 3: Two people were in a pontoon boat that overturned on Liberty Lake near the 1200 block of South Starr Lane. Both managed to make it to shore before rescue crews arrived. One person was taken to the hospital to be treated for hypothermia.

May 8: A resident in the 400 block of South Koren Road had been dumping hot ashes in a pickup truck’s plastic bed liner and the liner caught fire. An unattended campfire that spread was reported in the 5300 block of East Granite Point Drive.

May 9: The swift water rescue team was called to rescue a man who jumped into the Spokane River near the 11600 block of East Upriver Drive to escape a Fish and Wildlife officer. The man was out of the water and in handcuffs when crews arrived. Hazardous materials crews responded to East Valley High School on the report of a mercury spill. Fourteen people were taken to the hospital to be evaluated. Crews later responded to the home of the student who brought the toxic substance to the school for mercury contamination.

May 13: Crews responded to a call about a man who had handcuffed himself to his steering wheel. When crews arrived the man was gone.