WINTERSPORTS -- Skiers can learn to have a wild time with their dogs during skijoring clinics this season.
Skijoring is a sport in which a person wearing skis is drawn over snow dog-sledding style by one or more dogs. Clinics include:
- Jan. 8 at the Spokane REI store. Spaces limited. Sign up in advance. The in-store clinic (no dogs allowed) will discuss the sport, equipment, local opportunities and what it takes to get started.
- Jan. 11 or later, an on-snow clinic with dogs is being organized by Skijor Spokane, a group organized on Facebook.
At Mount Spokane Cross-Country Ski Park, the times and groomed nordic trails open to skijoring have expanded dramatically this year: Skijoring will be allowed:
- Noon to dusk on Sundays and all day on Wednesdays.
- On Upper Tripps, but uphill only. That means skijorers going out Lower Tripps from Brickel Creek Bridge No. 1 may turn around at Tripps Knob or continue to climb Upper Tripps.
- On Mica Road to the end at Junction 8.