Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Tuesday, February 18, 2020  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Clear Night 34° Clear
News >  Business

Where To Look For Help

By Compiled Rachel Konrad

FOR THE RECORD CORRECTION: The telephone number for the Washington State Department of Real Estate Licensing, Audit/Complaint Office, is (360)586-4602. A fact box in the Sunday business section listed the number incorrectly. A correction was published on Thursday, April 13, 1995.

Consumer-help organizations are much like computers: They can’t help you unless you feed them the right information.

Before calling any consumer group, be realistic about what you can expect. In many cases, expect nothing - especially if you threw away receipts, warranties, credit card billing statements, tags or boxes.

If person-to-person negotiation fails and you can’t afford to retain a lawyer, call the the appropriate watchdog group.

Here’s a list of some of the better-known agencies, their specialties and their phone numbers:

Better Business Bureau of the Inland Northwest, (509) 325-3366.

Alliance Against Fraud in Telemarketing, (202) 639-8140, to learn about telemarketing fraud and report phone scams.

Automotive Consumer Action Program, (703) 821-7000, to resolve disputes between car dealers and buyers after the consumer’s efforts have failed.

Aviation Consumer Action Project, (202) 833-3000, to get statistics on crash survivability and to report excessive airfares and uncompetitive markets.

Bankcard Holders of America, (703) 389-5445, to get assistance in resolving credit disputes and credit counseling to bank card and credit card holders.

Boat Owners Association of the United States, (703) 823-9550, to resolve disputes for members. Fee: $12.50 per year.

Center for Study of Responsive Law, (202) 387-8030, to get information on energy conservation, government procurement and management of taxpayer assets.

Foundation Aiding the Elderly, (916) 481-8558, to report nursing home abuses and get information on federal legislation for the nursing home industry.

Funeral Service Consumer Assistance Program, (800) 662-7666, to resolve disagreements and complaints through binding arbitration about funeral directors or funeral homes.

Major Appliance Consumer Action Panel, (800) 621-0477, for a recording that details procedures for filing a complaint with an appliance manufacturer.

National Association of Securities Dealers Inc., (212) 858-4000, to file a complaint about a broker or request information about over-the-counter stocks and bonds.

National Insurance Consumer Organization, (202) 547-6426, to file complaints on insurance policies and abuses.

Northwest Fair Housing Alliance, (509) 838-4710, to file complaints about a landlord, lease or tenant dispute in the Inland Northwest.

Washington State Department of Real Estate Licensing, Auditor/Complaint Office, (509) 326-9222, to file complaints about real estate transactions, brokers and agents in metropolitan Spokane.

Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.

You have been successfully subscribed!
There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email