Simon Cleared To Play
Chris Simon, the Quebec Nordiques winger who was suspended indefinitely in September for a stick-swinging incident, was cleared by the league to open the season.
Simon had been fined $500 fine and missed five exhibition games as a result of his actions in the Sept. 17 game against Ottawa.
Brian Burke, the NHL’s director of hockey operations, said that penalty was sufficient and should serve as a “stern warning” to other players. Simon may begin the season Saturday at Philadelphia.
New York Islanders defenseman Bob Beers will be sidelined for at least two months with broken bones in his face and an injury to his eye sustained in practice, the club said.
Beers was struck in the face by a puck Monday night during practice.