Daly Changes Mind, Accepts Magic’s Offer
Chuck Daly sensed he wasn’t satis fied being out of basketball as soon as he hung up the phone.
It was two weeks ago and he had just rejected the Orlando Magic coaching job.
He couldn’t stop thinking about how intrigued he was by the position.
The more he thought about it, the more he wanted it.
“I was having a tough time making a decision,” he said Tuesday after formally accepting Orlando’s three-year, $15 million offer to end his three-year hiatus from the bench.
“As soon as I hung up,” Daly added, recalling the conversation with Magic general manager John Gabriel when he turned down the original offer, “I was a little depressed. And I don’t get depressed.”
The 67-year-old Daly’s interest in returning heightened last week when he learned the Magic were pursuing former NBA star Julius Erving for a front office position.
Stockton: One leg at a time
He didn’t want an agent helping him negotiate his last contract. And you won’t see Utah star John Stockton doing underwear commercials or pushing products every time you switch a channel.
“Agents have a different job than is my personality,” Stockton explained Tuesday as the Jazz got ready for Wednesday’s Game 2 of the NBA Finals against the Chicago Bulls.
“I wanted to stay true to my personality. I think a lot of agents in doing their job are seeking the best deal for you monetarily, and I don’t think that necessarily represents everything the player is feeling and thinking. That was more important to me.”
Stockton, the NBA career assists leader, a small player who has made it big, an average guy, would seem to a perfect candidate to endorse products.
“I’m just not comfortable with that life,” he said.
3-point line may move back
The old 3-point line is one step away from making a comeback.
The NBA competition committee voted Tuesday to move the 3-point line back to its original distance of 23 feet, nine inches. The line was moved to a uniform 22 feet three years ago.
The league’s Board of Governors must approve the committee’s recommendation before it becomes official. A vote among the 29 franchises will take place after the NBA Finals, and 20 votes are needed for passage.
Also:
A new timeout rule would prohibit players from calling a timeout in mid-air when they are above or beyond the out-of-bounds line.
A new forearm checking rule would prohibit a defensive player from using his forearm to impede the progress of an offensive player when the man with the ball is facing the basket.
A change in the illegal defense rules will allow zone defenses - or any kind of defense - on the side of the court the ball is on.
Jordan’s price: $36 million
The Chicago Tribune’s Sam Smith reported that Michael Jordan wants $36 million for next season - he’s making $30 million - and “will be” a Bull next season, coach Phil Jackson “probably will be,” Scottie Pippen “might be” and Dennis Rodman is “gone.”
Jordan claimed to be unaware of negotiations but was encouraged by signs that Jackson will return.
“Yeah, I think so,” Jordan said. “And I think a lot has to do with Phil wanting to be here.”
Jordan, on his oft-publicized promise to leave if Jackson does:
“What, do you think I’m lying? I’m not lying.”
Come dance with me
Utah’s Karl Malone is a big-game hunter. So maybe he packed a tranquilizer gun from his arsenal, which might explain the lazy, hazy way in which Chicago’s Dennis Rodman reacted to Malone in Game 1.
“I thought Dennis just sat out in left field and didn’t participate,” Bulls Coach Phil Jackson said. “He wasn’t into the game in his normal, emotional way.”
The docile Rodman did not even draw a technical, making him technical-free for the first time in 14 National Basketball Association playoff games this season. The string was broken as Rodman seemed to loiter around Malone.
“I don’t know what it is,” Chicago’s Brian Williams said. “Maybe Dennis and Karl just don’t want to dance.”
Opening night a success
Sunday night’s Game 1 drew a 15.8 rating and a 27 share in its NBC telecast, third highest for an opener.