Flood Project Criticized Engineer Says Milo Creek Diversion Could Lead To Problems For Wardner, Kellogg
A $12 million project to eliminate flooding is poorly designed and could threaten the residents of Wardner and Kellogg, according to a Spokane consulting engineer.
Don Reichmuth is concerned about the steepness of pipes that will carry Milo Creek underground, and the stability of mine tailings that the pipes cross. In fact, he said this week, the very name “Milo Creek Permanent Improvement Project” is misleading.
“It certainly would lead the public to believe the problems are all resolved,” Reichmuth said. That could result in a false sense of security and home building in a narrow canyon that could still be hit by severe floods, he said.
Reichmuth owns Geomax, an engineering firm well-known in the region for rehabilitating damaged streams. He said the Milo Creek project design calls for special expertise. His opinion of the project was precipitated by a lawsuit brought against Shoshone County by a local businessman.
Tom Bourque, lead engineer for the project, said Reichmuth reviewed outdated project plans. The steepness of some sections of pipe is being lessened by a new route across the Bunker Hill Mine property, he said.
“We take it seriously and we’re reviewing it,” he said of a letter from Reichmuth outlining his concerns.
Bourque said he’s not concerned about the stability of the mine tailings. But he said a geotechnical engineer has also been hired to review their stability.
Project coordinator Glenn Jackson was quicker to discount the complaints.
“We’ve spent almost a million dollars in engineering fees to design the project. Both Welch Comer and Terra Graphics (engineering firms) have utilized the University of Idaho to do a considerable amount of design.”
In contrast, he said, Reichmuth spent only 20 hours reviewing the complex design plans, “so I’m a little underwhelmed.”
Bourque works for Terra Graphics. Jackson is a consultant for the Idaho Bureau of Disaster Services.
Milo Creek flows through the mine property, down through the hamlet of Wardner and into Kellogg before flowing into the South Fork of the Coeur d’Alene River. Much of it has been routed into aging underground pipes, which are easily overwhelmed by floodwaters.
In 1997, spring floods sent water surging through the streets. That was considered a 10-year to 25-year flood, said Bourque, meaning there was a chance of such an event occurring once in 25 years.
“We’ve designed the system to contain a 100-year flood,” he said. “If it could not handle a 100-year storm, you have an emergency spillway to handle that (overflow).”
Reichmuth contends that the spillway, which is located below the mine property, is evidence that the engineers know the system could fail.
The improved system will feature two, 54-inch pipes each capable of carrying 400 cubic feet per second of water.
“I would personally not attempt it,” Reichmuth said. “It’s a very unusual situation … It’s a very high gradient, you have very unstable soils.”
He suggested the need to repair the streets and to spend hard-sought federal dollars unduly rushed design work.
“My main problem is with the political process that got you all to where you’re at,” he said.
Reichmuth was hired to review the project by Wes Aamodt, owner of Wardner’s Shady Lady Saloon. The project needs a pipeline easement across some of Aamont’s property. According to Jackson, the easement was valued at $5,700 and Aamodt demanded $40,000.
The disagreement ended up in 1st District Court last week, when Judge Craig Kosonen confirmed the county’s right to condemn Aamodt’s property and proceed with construction. A jury will later decide how much money Aamodt receives.
Meanwhile, Jackson has filed a complaint against Aamodt for tearing out surveyor’s stakes on Monday evening. Aamodt, who couldn’t be reached for comment, also allegedly threatened an engineering company employee who told Aamodt to stop.