WASHINGTON – As harsh winter weather sweeps across the country, the government urged consumers to use newer-model space heaters and issued other safety tips for their operation.
Fires and carbon monoxide poisoning from space heaters and gas generators have caused at least 45 deaths since Dec. 1, the Consumer Product Safety Commission reported Monday. Generators were connected to 11 of those deaths.
Every home also should have working smoke alarms and a carbon monoxide alarm, CPSC said. Gas-powered generators should not be used inside a home or garage.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.