“I’m most definitely happy (Shasta’s) home. But I’m unmentionably pissed off about the rest of this.”
– Vance Groene, 20-year-old brother of Shasta and Dylan.
“When I walked in the door, her face just lit up and she put her arms out and said, ‘Daddy, Daddy.’ It was one of the better moments in my life.”
– Steve Groene, Shasta’s father.
“My intent is to harm society as much as I can, then die.”
– Entry in a Web log allegedly created by Joseph Edward Duncan III, who was arrested on charges of kidnapping in the Groene case.
“She said, ‘Shasta Groene’ and started crying. I picked up that child, held her and hugged her.”
– Denny’s waitress Amber Deahn, on what happened when she asked Shasta who she was.
“I think most people look back at those practices with regret.”
– The Rev. Joseph Weitensteiner, in a Thursday interview in which he announced that he will take a leave of absence as the director of Morning Star Boys’ Ranch.
“It is not often in this job you sort of punch the air, do a little jig.”
– British Prime Minister Tony Blair, after London was selected as the host city for the 2012 Summer Olympics.
“I would also pay tribute to the stoicism and the resilience of the people of London, who have responded in a way typical of them.”
– Blair, after Thursday’s terrorism attacks.
“The war on terror goes on. We will not yield to these people; we will not yield to the terrorists.”
– President Bush at the G-8 Summit in Great Britain.
“If you don’t vote to throw this out, I guarantee the citizens will.”
– State Rep. John Ahern, R-Spokane, urging the Spokane City Council to adopt a referendum that would roll back the granting of city employee benefits to domestic partners of unmarried employees.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.