Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Tuesday, June 2, 2020  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Day 70° Partly Cloudy
News >  Spokane

Cigarette caused apartment fire, officials say

Flames erupt from the roof of a fire at the Regal Ridge apartments at 5111 S. Regal St. on Wednesday, May 13. (Christopher Anderson / The Spokesman-Review)
Flames erupt from the roof of a fire at the Regal Ridge apartments at 5111 S. Regal St. on Wednesday, May 13. (Christopher Anderson / The Spokesman-Review)

A discarded cigarette caused the fire that ripped through a South Hill apartment complex last week and left 29 homeless, the Spokane Fire Department said today.

The three-alarm blaze at the Regal Ridge apartments, 5111 S. Regal St., May 13 left a hole in the roof of the 10-unit building, but a fire wall in the middle of the building saved five units from serious damage.

The 17 adults and 12 children who live in the nine units - one was unoccupied - are all staying elsewhere.

The fire, which occurred about 12:20 p.m. on a Wednesday, when many residents were away, spread from the cigarette on the deck of apartment number nine, according to the fire department.

The fire was ruled an accident.

Damage is estimated at more than $1 million.

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.


Asking the right questions of your CBD company

Bluegrass Hemp Oil in Spokane Valley offers a variety of products that can be very effective for helping with some health conditions. (Courtesy BHO)
Sponsored

If you are like most CBD (cannabidiol) curious consumers, you’ve heard CBD can help with many ailments.