Arrow-right Camera
Go to e-Edition Sign up for newsletters Customer service
Subscribe now
Spokane Shock
Sports >  Spokane Shock

Shock work OT to beat Predators, collect first victory of season

Spokane had to work overtime to snag its first Arena Football League victory of the season.

Tied at half, at the end of three quarters and at the end of regulation, the Shock dug out a wild 56-55 victory over the Orlando Predators in front of 8,906 Saturday at the Arena.

Orlando (3-2) had the first possession in overtime and scored on backup quarterback Bernard Morris’ 28-yard touchdown pass to Kendal Thompkins on third-and-28. The Predators went for the two-point conversion from Spokane’s 1 after a Shock penalty but Morris was stuffed on a quarterback keeper.

The Predators’ onside kick was recovered by Spokane’s Derrick Summers at Orlando’s 9. After two incomplete passes, quarterback Carson Coffman floated a 9-yard strike to Mike Washington – their fourth touchdown connection of the game – and Taylor Rowan’s point-after pushed Spokane (1-3) into the win column.

“That was honestly one of the sloppiest football games I’ve ever been part of since I’ve been a head coach. But at end of the day, despite some of the plays we left out there and we left a lot out there, we made the ones at the end that mattered,” coach Andy Olson said. “The two-point conversion hold essentially won the game.”

Spokane and Orlando spent three quarters putting up touchdowns and the fourth quarter blowing scoring opportunities. It was knotted at 49 after Orlando scored on former Shock receiver Brandon Thompkins’ touchdown catch late in the third quarter.

Both teams had numerous chances in a scoreless fourth quarter. The Shock’s last three possessions resulted in a fumbled exchange between Coffman and fullback Bryson Kelly, a trick play that backfired with an interception thrown by receiver Rashaad Carter and Rowan’s missed 28-yard field goal with 41 seconds left.

Orlando failed to capitalize each time. Thompkins bobbled a low throw from quarterback Randy Hippeard into the arms of defensive back Andre Jones. Former Shock linebacker Terence Moore fumbled on a running play inside Spokane’s 3-yard line. Finally, with less than 10 seconds remaining, fullback Michael Simons fumbled and Spokane’s Sergio Gilliam recovered at the Shock 1-yard line.

Coffman, in his first game back from a knee injury he suffered in the season opener, passed for 289 yards and six touchdowns with no interceptions.

Orlando committed six turnovers, including five fumbles, one on a peculiar call early in the third quarter. Hippeard threw what appeared to be an incomplete pass but it was ruled a fumble. The ball ended up in the hands of Spokane’s Terrance Taylor and he rumbled toward the goal line with some help from teammates.

Officials initially ruled a touchdown, and then changed it to a touchback with an explanation that Taylor lost the ball before reaching the end zone. After a lengthy review, it was ruled a touchdown and Spokane led 42-35.

Taylor, with two sacks and a touchdown, and defensive end James Ruffin, who forced three fumbles and recovered two, tormented Orlando’s offensive line.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the sports newsletter

Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.