Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Night 54° Partly Cloudy
News >  Idaho

Lithium battery possibly started Boise State fire, official says

Associated Press

BOISE – Officials say a lithium battery might have started a fire that partially destroyed a modular office building at Boise State University over the weekend.

State Fire Marshal Knute Sandahl told the Idaho Statesman in a story on Monday that investigators are closely looking at the recharging of a lithium battery.

The fire on Saturday destroyed part of an office building and damaged equipment that’s part of the school’s robotics lab.

Sandahl didn’t have a damage estimate but predicted it would be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

There were no reports of injuries.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.