BOISE – Officials say a lithium battery might have started a fire that partially destroyed a modular office building at Boise State University over the weekend.
State Fire Marshal Knute Sandahl told the Idaho Statesman in a story on Monday that investigators are closely looking at the recharging of a lithium battery.
The fire on Saturday destroyed part of an office building and damaged equipment that’s part of the school’s robotics lab.
Sandahl didn’t have a damage estimate but predicted it would be in the tens of thousands of dollars.
There were no reports of injuries.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.