HELENA – A Montana firefighter suffered a wrist injury when he was struck by exploding ammunition while battling a mobile home fire near Lincoln, northwest of Helena.
Lincoln Volunteer Fire Chief Zach Muse said the nine firefighters battling the chimney fire Tuesday night had to take cover for about 30 minutes when a supply of ammunition in the house began exploding.
The injured firefighter was hiding behind one of the pumper trucks when he was hit. Muse said he didn’t know the extent of the firefighter’s injury. Some of the trucks were damaged, as well.
In addition to the ammunition, the homeowners had firewood stacked by the front door.
The couple that lived in the house escaped safely.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.